For the most part I feel like I am at odds with mornings. I suck at them and I hate it, especially as I watch my husband seemingly glide through them, checking off his imaginary to-do list with (appeared) ease. He’s just way too good at the a.m. thing. (Yet, somehow I managed to assume the responsibly of morning drop-offs.)
Becoming a parent meant that I had to come to terms with mornings. And for a small moment in time, when they were filled with a sweet baby and cuddles, I loved them. Nowadays I’m navigating life with a tween and a pre-threenager, dragging my feet through the final days of summer break. I already know, in just a matter of days, it’s about to get real.
So I’ve been making more of an effort to reintroduce a bit more routine into our lives while looking for ways to work smarter not harder. I’m also holding on to this: Each morning I have the opportunity to set the tone not just for my day but also for my husband and my children.
If you’re like me, you’re going to need these hacks to help us start winning when it comes to mornings:
1. Drink a glass of water before you get out of bed (one down, seven+ more to go) to rehydrate yourself and start your day on a healthy note.
2. Go to sleep in your workout gear so when you wake up you’re ready to go.
3. Store smoothie ingredients in individual bags to make morning smoothie preparation even easier, or put all your ingredients into your blender the night before and refrigerate.
4. Freeze leftover smoothies in popsicle molds for future morning meals or snacks.
5. Prepare meals for the entire week and store them in the fridge or freezer for easy access.
6. Create “take home” and “take to school” folders for each of your kids. Be sure to check folders nightly for papers that may need to be signed and returned.
Continue reading 27 Hacks for Moms Who Suck at Mornings at mom.me.